Tuesday 24 April 2012

Arabian toads and flower photos


I’m back in Scotland from Oman now, and still enjoying the soft light and lushness of spring green, though a bit more warmth would be lovely.  We had more rain in Oman after our first deluge, including a massive electrical storm, which was spectacular and frightening, especially since we were planning to camp right in the middle of it. We decamped instead and drove back from Sur to Muscat through the rain and lightning.  The road was a brand new motorway, mostly empty, and crawling with toads that must have felt the rain and a rare chance to move out in the open.  I hate seeing frogs and toads on the road here and there it was particularly sad. It must be tough being a toad in Arabia and being squashed on the road seems a squalid end. 
We spent a lot of time taking photos of plants in Oman. I’ve never engaged with photography much. I tended to look at it as just another way to spend money on expensive electronic tat, but since I didn’t buy the camera and I had time to use it properly, and we were surrounded by so much materialism in Muscat, I put my reservations to one side and enjoyed it. Sadly the plants weren’t desperately photogenic, though this Echinops was a good show-off. 
And the advantage of the cold weather is spring in Scotland is slow. The wood anemones were still out before I left and it’s good to see them still here and almost fresh after all this rain.

No comments: